welcome to route 66
Known as the mother road, Route 66 stretches from the banks of Lake Michigan (Chicago) to the Pacific Ocean (Los Angeles). It passes through Illinois, Missouri, Oklahoma, Texas, New Mexico and California. It covers some 2500 miles. It was featured in the John Steinbeck novel "The grapes of Wrath" and most recently was the basis of the new Disney / Pixar movie " cars ". It was also immortalised in song by Nat King Cole in the song "Get your kicks (on Route 66)"
While some drivers choose to cover the entire route, many others choose to visit a specific section. It is located close to many international airports and allows access to many of the United States most popular attractions. Each section of Route 66 is very different to the others and offers a fascinating insight into both the American life of today and yesteryear.
We have broken the route down into 9 sections that should take around a day to drive. Click on the day below to access the virtual drive and follow the instructions on the right hand side of this page. As the drive goes along it's route placemarks of attractions will appear. Click on the placemark will give your more information on that location.
Click here for details on the history of Route 66, details of major attractions, driving distances and the closest airports.
how to play the tour
- Step One:
- Click on a favourite drive and google earth will automatically open with your chosen route.
- Step Two:
- Once Google earth has loaded, go to the "places" menu on the left, then select the "green car icon", as in the image below.
- Step Three:
- Click the play button at the bottom of the "places" menu to play the tour.
- What's New
- More Detailed Attraction Information Famous Film Locations Famous Celebrity Homes Historic Monuments Behind the scenes of the Disney/ Pixar Movie "Cars"
- Driving tips for route 66
- For sections of Route 66 there may be long distances between petrol stations so please refuel regularly. Always take plenty of bottled water and spare food with you. Take your time while driving and make sure you get plenty of breaks Remember that a petrol station is known in the USA as a Gas Station Remember that speed limits may change as you move between states Invest in a proper map
- Cars the Movie
- Click here to find the locations that inspired parts of the Disney/Pixar movie "cars"